Monday, February 24, 2014

i make pretty: Hummingbird Inspired Artwork



Inspired by the magical little hummingbirds that started coming around our home last summer, I painted these two colorful little birds. It all started with one very friendly, ruby-throated humminbird who would sit outside and sing the same song all day. We hung a hummingbird feeder for him, and before long, more hummingbirds showed up. 



 

After a couple of weeks, I could stand outside, and he would come right up to my face, hover, then go to his feeder, eat, and take off. He was so cute!

5 interesting hummingbird facts:
  • Their wings flap in the shape of an infinity symbol when they hover
  • Hummingbirds can fly backwards, left, right and forward
  • They flap their wings about 80 times per second
  • Their feet are for perching, not walking or hopping
  • Hummingbirds symbolize joy, playfulness and adaptability
I haven't seen him in awhile, I'm hoping the spring brings him back!

Back to the art-- this was the first time that I painted in detail with watercolors. I usually use watercolors when I'm painting abstractly and acrylics when I want to paint details. I really liked the way the watercolors allowed me to add depth and layers of color so nicely on top of each other and I was still able to get the detail that I wanted.

I have added the 8x10 Happy Hummingbirds print and the Happy Hummingbird birthday card  above to my Etsy store, i make pretty, check out the new goods!

xo,
Maria

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...